Jun 28, 2017
How to how to work with people you don’t trust
Trust on the basketball court as well as off is an absolutely crucial component of successful teams. Teams full of distrust cannot succeed. Trust is a foundational pillar. Building successful basketball skills, teams, or programs require intentional work to build trust. As hard as you try sometimes you are required to work with people you do not trust. Here are 7 key ways to work with people you do not trust.
1. Respect your coach and teammates. Distrust is contagious. If you distrust your teammates and coaches, they will distrust you. If you cannot respect your coach, you should consider playing for a different program. If moving is impossible, work to control what you can control. You can control your attitude and your effort. Don't depend on your coach, put your faith in your future and do what you need to do.
2. Don’t gossip or talk badly to anyone. When you go home and criticize your teammates and coaches, you may think no one hears you but that is not true. The words you say in private are communicated in your body language and everyone knows.
3. Earn trust. You earn money cent by cent and trust happens the same way. If you bankrupt your trust, it takes a long time to earn trust back. Trust is a two-way street. If you don't trust your teammates or coach it's almost guaranteed they don't trust you.
4. Take care of the ball. Minimize your turnovers. Be someone the team can count on to handle the ball well.
5. Be a consistent shooter. If you swing from on-fire to brick-layer, you’re shooting is inconsistent. Build trust in your shooting by improving your consistency. Accurate, game-like repetitions every day improves your consistency.
6. Value what others value. If your teammate lends you something, return it in the shape you received it. If your coach values shirts tucked in, respect him/her by following through.
7. Exceed expectations. As a teammate, be fun to be around, be a leader people want to emulate, be intense, and the hardest worker on the court.
ABOUT NBC BASKETBALL CAMPS
NBC Camps started with the dream of building strong players and better people. We believe basketball should help you become better as a leader and as a person. NBC Camps are built on the principles of hard work, gratitude, self -responsibility, hope, truth and personal faith. If you are willing to work hard, we want you to camp. Find out more at nbccamps.com or call 800-406-3926.