June 01, 2023 | Tagged Coaching
Five Characteristics of Winning Volleyball Teams
Do you want your volleyball team to follow through with your goals for success?
As we come into the New Year we eagerly challenge ourselves with resolutions but are as easily eager to let temptations get in the way of our goal. Why is this? Why do we quit when things get too hard? The answer seems pretty simple; we are inpatient and lose our focus. John Wooden states that "The road to achievement takes time, a long time, but you do not give up. You may have setbacks. You may have to start over. You may have to change your method. You may have to go around, or over, or under. You may have to back up and get another start. But you do not quit. You stay the course. To do that, you must have intentness."
Five characteristics of Volleyball teams that are intent on success
- Determination - "firmness of purpose." A team needs to have a strong foundation to build their goals. Players who know their personal and team goals are determined to achieve greatness.
- Persistence - "Firm continuance in a course of action in spite of difficulty." Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Studies show that it takes 3,000 - 5,000 repetitions to get a skill burned into your muscle memory. A strong player practices after practice to master his/her skills.
- Tenacity - defined as "persistent determination." The road to success is a hard road. Weak teams start to fall apart by fight amongst themselves, other players, fans and refs. The teams that travel the tough road with tenacity are strong cohesive teams. They all share the same focus to achieving success.
- Perseverance - defined as the "steadfastness in doing something despite difficulty or delay in achieving success." What team does not face difficulties throughout the season?
- Patience - This is a tough quality for all. We all want to be successful now rather than later, but this is not reality. Teams that work hard every second, and do not dwell on the obstacles or failures they will face, end up finding success.
About NBC Volleyball
NBC Volleyball began in 1979 with the mission of helping athletes improve on and off the court. Training focuses on the total athlete. For more information visit: www.nbcvolleyball.com